Ago Medical and Educational Center Bicol Christian College of Medicine
Dr. Damaceno J. Ago, founder and first president of AMEC-BCCM, established an institution in line with his vision "Quality healthcare and wellness for our patients, families, and communities. A health care professional in every home, schooled and trained at AMEC".BCCM.
The Bicol Christian College of Medicine (BCCM) was established in 1980 at Legazpi City. BCCM is the pioneer medical school and the number one producer of the best and brightest medical professionals in the Bicol Region. A member of the Association of Philippine Medical Colleges Foundation, Inc., it is an accredited member of the Foundation of the Advancement of International Medical Education and Research and registered internationally with the World Health Organization. The Ago General Hospital was established in 1942 which served as the base hospital for BCCM students. Moreover, BCCM is affiliated with two government hospitals, Bicol Medical Center in Naga City and Bicol Regional Training and Teaching Hospital in Legazpi City. It has produced globally competitive doctors from all over the world. In fact, 85% of government positions, in medical centers, district hospitals, RHU in Bicol region are BCCM graduates.
In 1980, Ambassador Amable R. Aguiluz V, also known as the Father of Computer Education in the Philippines, saw the demand for fully trained computer professionals; however, during that time, no institution in the Philippines offered professional computer education. Knowing the impact of technology in the industry and how it will drive progress, Ambassador Aguiluz responded to the demand and decided to put up a school that will offer computer education; hence, AMA Institute of Computer Studies was founded and eventually led to the establishment of AMA Computer College, which was the first to offer courses in Computer Science and Computer Engineering.
Angeles University Foundation
Angeles University Foundation, a non-stock, non-profit educational institution, was established on May 25, 1962 by Mr. Agustin P. Angeles, Dr. Barbara Y. Angeles, and family. In less than nine years, the Institution was granted University status on April 16, 1971 by the Department of Education, Culture and Sports.
On December 4, 1975, the University was converted to a non-stock, non-profit educational foundation -- the Angeles couple and their children executed a Deed of Donation relinquishing their ownership. AUF was incorporated under Republic Act No. 6055, otherwise known as the Foundation Law, and became a tax-exempt institution approved by the Philippine government. All donations and bequests given to the AUF are tax deductible.
On February 14, 1978, AUF was converted to a Catholic University. As the first Catholic university in Central Luzon, AUF ensures not only professional success but total development which is anchored on Christian education that is holistic, integrated and formative. On February 20, 1990, the five-storey, 125-bed AUF Medical Center was inaugurated which now serves as a private teaching, training and research hospital, the first ever in Central Luzon.
Ateneo de Zamboanga University
The Ateneo de Zamboanga began in 1912 as Escuela Catolica, a parochial school run by Spanish Jesuits at the old site of the Immaculate Conception Church, right across the Sunken Garden. Fr. Manuel M. Sauras, S.J. was the first director.
In 1916, the Escuela Catolica became the Ateneo de Zamboanga.
In 1930, the American Jesuits took over from the Spanish Jesuits with Fr. Thomas Murray, S.J. as the first American director. Classes were also held in the Knights of Columbus (K of C) buildng, now the site City Theater.
The first high school students graduated from Ateneo in 1932.
In 1938, a library was built on the first floor of the K of C Building. A facade, an auditorium, and an annex were also built. John Shinn was appointed headmaster of the Grade School and Fr. Francis Clark, S.J. became the principal and dean of discipline of the High School. The school was closed during World War II. It was used by the Japanese as a public elementary school until it was shelled and bombed by the American forces on March 8 and 9 in 1945, prior to the liberation of the city.read moreDownload pdf